Sören Schomburg is the responsible partner for cases in the field of commercial criminal law, criminal tax law, international criminal law and extradition law.
Sören Schomburg acts as defence counsel across Germany and advises clients in Europe and the USA.
He represents national and international companies and their managers in all areas of commercial criminal law and criminal tax law as well as in all criminal law aspects of internal investigations and seizures of data. He defends clients facing extradition and international wanted notices, in particular INTERPOL Red Notices.
He is currently defence counsel to Daimler AG in the investigations into diesel emissions as well as Commerzbank AG and the operator of the German stock exchange, Deutsche Börse AG, in proceedings relating to alleged cum/ex trades. He successfully prevented the extradition of Catalan politician Carles Puigdemont to Spain.
Sören Schomburg defends clients in all areas of criminal law, in particular
- Commercial criminal law
- Corporate criminal law
- Internal investigations
- Criminal tax law
- Extradition proceedings
- INTERPOL Red Notices and entries in the Schengen Information System
- International and European criminal law
- Compliance issues
- Criminal due diligence
- In various extradition cases (inter alia USA, Russia, Argentina), including Carles Puigdemont against the European Arrest Warrant
- Daimler AG in the so-called “diesel scandal”
- Commerzbank AG (cum/ex proceedings)
- Hamburg Commercial Bank AG (formerly HSH Nordbank)
- UniCredit Bank AG (cum/ex proceedings)
- Deutsche Bank AG (“Kirch case”, first instance and appeal)
- Deutsche Börse AG (cum/ex proceedings)
- Siemens corruption case (Germany/Argentina/USA)
- Expert opinion on double jeopardy (“ne bis in idem”) for an employee of Johnson & Johnson in transnational criminal proceedings
- Successful deletion of numerous INTERPOL Red Notices on behalf of German and foreign nationals
Ranked 2019 by the German business magazine WirtschaftsWoche as “top lawyer in white-collar crime”.
- Studied law at Humboldt-Universität Berlin and King’s College London
- Legal training at the Higher Regional Court of Berlin (Kammergericht) and in Tokyo
- Scholar of the Robert-Bosch-Foundation (Japan Program)
- Defence counsel since 2011
- Partner at Ufer Knauer Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB since 2020