Attorney at law, certified specialist in criminal law
Certified adviser in criminal tax law (DAA)
As partner, Dr. Florian Ufer is responsible for the areas of commercial criminal law, criminal tax law; criminal law in general as well as international criminal law.
Dr. Florian Ufer acts as defence counsel across Germany as well as in Europe and the USA. He advises in German, English and French and speaks Italian and Spanish. In 2017 he founded the international lawyers network Global Criminal Law Counsel (GCLS).
Dr. Florian Ufer has many years of experience as a practicing attorney in all fields of criminal law both in and outside court rooms. He is vastly experienced in advising on and coordinating complex transnational criminal proceedings in various jurisdictions across the world.
He advises and defends national and international companies and their decision makers in all aspects of commercial criminal law and criminal tax law as well as in administrative fine proceedings and in all criminal law aspects of internal investigations and civil litigation.
He is currently advising and defending, inter alia, Daimler AG in the investigation proceedings led by the Stuttgart Public Prosecutor regarding diesel emissions, the law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in proceedings concerning the advice given in connection to cum/ex trades, the former co-CEO of Deutsche Bank, Anshu Jain, in proceedings also relating to cum/ex trades as well as attorneys, managers and board members in the so-called “VW emissions scandal”, the “Airbus Eurofighter scandal”, the “Goldfinger case” and in proceedings regarding Siemens AG’s alleged breach of the Crimea embargo.
In a recent case before the Regensburg Regional Court Dr. Florian Ufer won the acquittal on six charges of his client, a local contractor, in the largest corruption case in Bavaria in recent years, the so-called Regensburg corruption scandal. Aspects of the verdict are now subject to a criminal appeal before the German Federal Court of Justice (Bundesgerichtshof).
Dr. Florian Ufer defends in all fields of criminal law, in particular
- Commercial criminal law
- Criminal tax law
- Corporate criminal law
- Criminal provisions in securities trading and accounting law
- Capital market crimes
- Internal investigations
- Advice in criminal law aspects of compliance management
- Criminal due diligence procedures
- Extradition law
- Daimler AG in the so-called “diesel scandal”
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in connection with cum/ex trades
- Anshu Jain – former co-CEO of Deutsche Bank
- Main defendant in the “Regensburg corruption scandal”
- Head of aggregate development in the “VW emissions scandal”
- Attorney and partner in the so-called “Goldfinger case”
- Siemens manager regarding alleged breaches of Crimea embargo
- Senior manager at Airbus in the “Eurofighter scandal” (Germany/Austria)
- Division manager in the Siemens corruption case (Germany/Argentina/USA)
- Board member of a clinic group against accusations of false accounting and non-payment of social security contributions
- Yoko Ono as a victim
In German Handelsblatt’s annual ranking “best attorneys 2020” Dr. Ufer is named in the field of commercial criminal law. He has been listed in JUVE since 2012 (i.a. “extremely good and pragmatic advice”; “highly qualified, fast, reliable”; “exceptional skills and good team player”). In JUVE 2020/21 he is recommended as “competent and prudent, good team player”, “highly professional”, “outstanding competence”. In the publication on criminal tax law and tax law 2020, Dr. Ufer is described as “highly regarded” and “very cooperative”. Wirtschaftswoche and FOCUS have ranked as one of the most acclaimed attorneys in the field of white-collar crime and listed as a “top criminal law attorney” since 2014. Chambers and Partners feature him in the field of “Dispute resolution: White Collar Crime” (“regularly defending clients against allegations of corruption, tax fraud and capital market crimes.”).
- Attended the Lyée Jean Renoir in Munich, graduated 1990 with French higher education entrance qualifications
- Studies in the USA (Kenyon College, Ohio)
- Studied law at Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich
- 2001 PhD at Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main with a thesis on the subject: “Objecting to evidence in theory and practice – the procedural duties of the defence counsel and their consequences for the legal position of the defendant”.
- Since 2000 defence counsel and partner since 2004 (previously of Bossi-Ufer-Ziegert) and founding partner of the law firm Ufer & Partner
- Since 2005 accredited specialist attorney for criminal law
- 2009 founding partner of the law firm Ufer Knauer Rechtsanwälte
- Since 2010 instructor in the training of specialist attorneys in criminal law
- Since 2015 Certified advisor in criminal tax law (DAA)